The Bagne des Annamites was established in June 1930 and consisted of seven wood buildings with the house of the camp leaders, dungeons and a dining hall. The purpose of this camp was to develop the region of the Inini, and then completely covered with forests. The first roads were traced in 1934. From 1939 on, the prisoners were gradually released at the end of their sentence. At the end of the war in 1940, the Senegalese riflemen who officiate as guards were replaced by militaries of French Guiana. The camp was finally closed in 1945. The Indo-Chinese still in prison were pardoned and settled in the city of Cayenne where they founded what is known today as Chinatown.
French Guiana is an overseas department and region of France on the north Atlantic coast of South America. It borders Brazil to the east and south, and Suriname to the west. Its 83,534 km² area has a very low population density of less than 3… [Read more]