Fountain of the Tortoises

[22 photos]

Overview

Fountain of the Tortoises (018)

Fountain of the Tortoises (018)

41° 53′ 38″ N, 12° 28′ 39″ E

Designed by Giacomo della Porta, the Fountain of the Tortoises (Fontana delle Tartarughe) was built in 1581-1588 and decorated by the Florentine sculptor Taddeo Landini. The four bronze tortoises, which give the name to the fountain, were added by…

Photo index

Description

Designed by Giacomo della Porta, the Fountain of the Tortoises (Fontana delle Tartarughe) was built in 1581-1588 and decorated by the Florentine sculptor Taddeo Landini. The four bronze tortoises, which give the name to the fountain, were added by the hand of Bernini only at the time of its restauration in 1658-1659.

Google Maps

Javascript must be on to view the Google Map