Paro is a town and seat of Paro District, located in the Paro Valley of Bhutan. It is a historic town with many sacred sites and historical buildings scattered through the area. Rinpung Dzong a fortress-monastery overlooking the Paro valley has a long history. A monastery was first built on the site by Padma Sambhava at the beginning of the tenth century, but it wasn’t until 1644 that Ngawang Namgyal built a larger monastery on the old foundations, and for centuries this imposing five storey building served as an effective defence against numerous invasion attempts by the Tibetans.
Click the pictures to view them in full screen
Size of original pictures: 8,300 x 8,300 pixels (scanned)
Click the picture to view more pictures of the sight
Chomolhari or Jomolhari sometimes known as “the bride of Kangchenjunga”, is a mountain in the Himalayas with an elevation of 7,326 m, straddling the border between Yadong County of Tibet, China and the Thimphu district of Bhutan. The north face…
Drukgyal Dzong was a fortress and Buddhist monastery, now in ruins, located in the upper part of the Paro District, Bhutan. The dzong was probably built by Tenzin Drukdra in 1649 at the behest of Ngawang Namgyal, Zhabdrung Rinpoche, to commemorate…