Bruges is the capital of the province of West Flanders. It has most of its medieval architecture intact. The historic centre of Bruges has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2000. Many of its medieval buildings are notable, including the Church of Our Lady, whose brick spire reaches 122.3 m, making it one of the world’s highest brick buildings. The sculpture Madonna and Child, which can be seen in the transept, is believed to be Michelangelo’s only sculpture to have left Italy within his lifetime. Bruges’ most famous landmark is its 13th century Belfry, housing a municipal carillon comprising 48 bells.
[Per saperne di più]
- Church of Our Lady
- Basilica of the Holy Blood (Heilig-Bloedbasiliek)
- Old Saint John’s Hospital
- Saint Salvator’s Cathedral
- City Hall on the Burg square
- Provincial Court (Provinciaal Hof)