Paro is a town and seat of Paro District, located in the Paro Valley of Bhutan. It is a historic town with many sacred sites and historical buildings scattered through the area. Rinpung Dzong a fortress-monastery overlooking the Paro valley has a long history. A monastery was first built on the site by Padma Sambhava at the beginning of the tenth century, but it wasn’t until 1644 that Ngawang Namgyal built a larger monastery on the old foundations, and for centuries this imposing five storey building served as an effective defence against numerous invasion attempts by the Tibetans.
Clicca sulle foto per visualizzarle a schermo intero
Indice di collage
Foto scattate con una Rolleiflex 6800 e scansionate con una Nikon LS 9000 ED
Drukgyal Dzong was a fortress and Buddhist monastery, now in ruins, located in the upper part of the Paro District, Bhutan. The dzong was probably built by Tenzin Drukdra in 1649 at the behest of Ngawang Namgyal, Zhabdrung Rinpoche, to commemorate… [Per saperne di più]
The Kingdom of Bhutan (འབྲུག་ཡུལ་) (which used to be one of the most isolated nations in the world) is located at the eastern end of the Himalaya Mountains between India and China. The Bhutanese call their country Druk Yul. The landscape ranges… [Per saperne di più]
Chomolhari or Jomolhari sometimes known as “the bride of Kangchenjunga”, is a mountain in the Himalayas with an elevation of 7,326 m, straddling the border between Yadong County of Tibet, China and the Thimphu district of Bhutan. The north face… [Per saperne di più]