Coordenadas: 48° 13′ 35″ N, 12° 40′ 35″ L
Altötting is the county seat of the district of the same name in the administrative district of the Upper Bavaria and is located about 90 km east of Munich. The city experiences national importance as a place of pilgrimage with the Chapel of Grace (Gnadenkapelle).
The reason for the worldwide recognition as a place of pilgrimage of Altötting is a story from the 15th century. In 1489 following miracle has occurred there: A three year-old boy had fallen into the Mörnbach, has been swept away by the current, and was held for drowned. The desperate mother brought the lifeless child after his rescue in the chapel dedicated to the Mother of God and laid it on the altar. There she began with other believers to pray for the salvation of her child. After a while, life returned in the seemingly dead child’s body. Legend has it that the rescued boy was ordained priest later.
Around 1330 came, carved in Burgundy or the in the Upper Rhine from linden wood, the early Gothic image of a standing Madonna with Child to Altötting. In the vernacular it is called “The black Maria of Ötting”. Today the name “Black Madonna” also have come into use.