Acarouany: In the 18th century, leprosy, imported by European settlers and slaves, affects the territory of French Guiana. The first leper colonies are installed on the Ilet La Mère off the coast of Ré (in 1774), and on the Iles du Salut off the coast of Kourou (in 1821). In 1836, the Reverend Mother Javouhey installs a leper colony on the royal domain of Acarouany. In 1974, the property is converted into rehabilitation centre.
Clicca sulle foto per visualizzarle a schermo intero
French Guiana is an overseas department and region of France on the north Atlantic coast of South America. It borders Brazil to the east and south, and Suriname to the west. Its 83,534 km² area has a very low population density of less than 3… [Per saperne di più]