Coordinate: 40° 39′ 48″ N, 16° 36′ 37″ E
Matera, a town in the region of Basilicata, is perched on the edge of a small canyon eroded by the Gravina. The lower Sassi (caves) district is divided into the Sasso Barisano and the Sasso Caveoso.
[Per saperne di più]
The following biblical movies were filmed there because of the ancient scenery reminding the ancient Jerusalem:
- The Gospel According to St Matthew, Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1964.
- King David, Bruce Beresford, 1985.
- The Passion of the Christ, Mel Gibson, 2004.
- The Nativity Story, Catherine Hardwicke, 2006.
- Sassi: The Sassi, houses dug into the rock itself, are suspected to be some of the first human settlements in Italy.
- Chiesi Rupestri: Santa Lucia alle Malve, Santa Maria de Idris, San Giovanni in Monterrone, Convicinio di Sant’Antonio, Santa Barbara.
- Churches: Duomo (13th century), San Francesco d’Assisi (13th century), San Pietro Caveoso.