Munich’s old town at night offers a very special atmosphere.
- The Cathedral of Our Lady in Munich’s old town, often called Frauenkirche, has been the cathedral church of the Archbishop of Munich and Freising since 1821 and is one of the landmarks of the Bavarian capital.
- The Maximilianeum, a palatial building in Munich, was built as the home of a gifted students’ foundation but since 1949 has housed the Bavarian State Parliament. It sits grandly and as a focal point on the bank of the Isar River above Maximilian Bridge at the eastern end of Maximilianstrasse, a royal avenue dotted with Neo-Gothic palaces influenced by the English Perpendicular style.
- The Siegestor is a classical triumphal arch in Munich, which was built from 1843 to 1850 according to plans by Friedrich von Gärtner.
- St. Luke’s Church (St. Lukas or Lukaskirche) is the largest Protestant church in Munich. It was built in 1893–96, designed by Albert Schmidt. It is the only preserved Lutheran parish church in the historical area of Munich.
- The Theatine Church of St. Cajetan (Theatinerkirche St. Kajetan) is a Catholic church in Munich. Built from 1663 to 1690, it was founded by Elector Ferdinand Maria and his wife, Henriette Adelaide of Savoy, as a gesture of thanks for the birth of the long-awaited heir to the Bavarian crown, Prince Max Emanuel, in 1662. Now administered by the Dominican Friars, it is also known as the Dominican Priory of St. Cajetan.