Coordinates: 51° 29′ 56″ N, 3° 36′ 41″ E
Middelburg is a city in the south-western Netherlands and the capital of the province of Zeeland. The city of Middelburg dates back to the early 9th century. In 844 a monastery was built on the site, which remained in use until the Eighty Years’ War, when the northern Netherlands won their independence from Spain. Middelburg was granted city rights in 1217. During the Middle Ages, it became an important trading centre in the trade between England and the cities of Flanders. Later, in the 17th century (the Dutch Golden Age), it was an important centre for the Dutch East India Company (VOC).
- Middelburg Town Hall is situated at the market of Middelburg. Construction began in 1452 and was supervised by several generations of the Flemish family of architects Keldermans. Construction was completed in 1520.
- Middelburg Abbey (The Abbey of our Lady) is a former Premonstratensian abbey in Middelburg. At one time it was the centre of a large monastic complex.
- The Abdijtoren is a 90.5 m high church tower that belongs to the abbey complex in Middelburg. It is curiously situated against the south wall of the single-aisled Choir Church. The tower is nicknamed the Lange Jan.