Romantic Road[302 photos]

This site does not use cookies at all. Whoever visits this site can therefore do so knowing that his navigation will not be tracked in any way, and will not be profiled for commercial or other purposes.

Description

Neuschwanstein Castle (160)
Neuschwanstein Castle (160)

In Germany, the Romantic Road (Romantische Straße), from Würzburg to Füssen, runs about 350 km, the Main to the Alps, Franconia, Upper Bavaria and the Bavarian Swabia.

[Read more]

Important historical waypoints or because of the attractive landscape are Würzburg, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Dinkelsbühl, Nördlingen, Harburg, Donauwörth, Augsburg, Friedberg and Landsberg am Lech. Scenic areas are the Tauber Valley, the Ries, the Lechrain and the entire alpine foothills between Landsberg am Lech and Füssen. Attractions include the Würzburg Residence, the medieval townscapes of Rothenburg ob der Tauber and Dinkelsbühl, the Fuggerei in Augsburg, Landsberg am Lech with its historic old town and the Lechwehr, the Wies Church (one of the most famous rococo churches) and the Neuschwanstein Castle built by King Ludwig II.

Main Sights

List of sights

Augsburg

Fuggerei (1)
Fuggerei (1)
48° 22′ 7″ N, 10° 54′ 14″ E

The Fuggerei is the world’s oldest social housing complex still in use. It is a walled enclave within the city of Augsburg, Bavaria. It takes it name from the Fugger family and was founded in 1516 by Jakob Fugger the Younger (known as “Jakob Fugger… [Read more]

Harburg

Harburg (1)
Harburg (1)
48° 47′ 11″ N, 10° 41′ 27″ E

Harburg (Swabia) is a town in the valley of the Wörnitz and lies on the Romantic Road between Nördlingen and Donauwörth. The word Harburg consists of two parts: “Har” and “Burg”. Old certificates speak of Harburc, Horeburch and Horburc. In Old High… [Read more]

Nativity of Mary (Rottenbuch)

Rottenbuch abbey (1)
Rottenbuch abbey (1)
47° 44′ 9″ N, 10° 57′ 58″ E

The former Augustinian Canons Church and current Roman Catholic parish church Nativity of Mary is a listed church building in Rottenbuch, in the district of Weilheim-Schongau in Bavaria. Soon after the founding of the monastery in 1073 began with… [Read more]