Capalbio (3)
Photo: Capalbio

Capalbio
48 Photos
42° 27′ 17″ N, 11° 25′ 11″ E

Description

Capalbio is a village in Tuscany, located about 150 km south of Florence and about 45 km south-east of Grosseto. Capalbio is known for the first time in 805AD, when it was donated to the Abbey of the Tre Fontane, near Rome, by Charlemagne.

The possession was confirmed in 1161 by Pope Alexander III. Later it was under the Aldobrandeschi family, who were followed by Orvieto, the Republic of Siena and the Orsini, who built the Castle.

Near the village is the site of the Tarot Garden designed by Niki de Saint Phalle.

Map: Capalbio

★ Open the Google Maps link in a new window at the location: Capalbio

Photo gallery
48 Photos

Click on a picture to view it in full screen mode.

Display captions on images:

★ Don’t miss: Most beautiful photos of Italy