Acarouany: In the 18th century, leprosy, imported by European settlers and slaves, affects the territory of French Guiana. The first leper colonies are installed on the Ilet La Mère off the coast of Ré (in 1774), and on the Iles du Salut off the coast of Kourou (in 1821). In 1836, the Reverend Mother Javouhey installs a leper colony on the royal domain of Acarouany. In 1974, the property is converted into rehabilitation centre.
Click the pictures to view them in full screen
Pictures taken with a Canon EOS1